The Biplane Pancake

Airplane_pancake

Allie with the airplane pancakethe parts to make an airplane pancake

This one was pretty tricky, but not as hard as the ferris wheel. I made all the parts by cooking them really slowly to get as much of the moisture out of them as I could. When you cook a pancake for about 15 minutes, it gets crispy on the outside and stays pretty tasty in the middle. After the parts were cooked, I used pancake batter to ‘glue’ the whole thing together on the griddle. The heat from the griddle cooks it pretty well, although you need a pretty high tolerance to pain (hot).

The best part about this pancake was that it was half toy, half food. Allie actually played with it for about 2 minutes before the whole thing fell apart (some went onto the floor, good fortune for our English bulldog, Bailey). Allie thought it was pretty cool, but she’s still bugging me for a unicorn. Horses are hard to draw, let alone make into a pancake. We’ll see, maybe this weekend.

, , , , , , ,

17 Responses to The Biplane Pancake

1. maria! May 21, 2010 at 5:23 am #

this is wicked. I have never seen anything like this! :D You’re highly creative! Keep it up Jim!

2. Lisa Johnson May 21, 2010 at 5:40 am #

So creative! Do you have an engineering background? I imagine the ferris wheel, crane, and bi-plane required some major structural planning. How about Cinderella’s coach? I bet Allie would like that! Keep up the good work!

3. HappySheep May 21, 2010 at 7:57 am #

I would have fun with that pancake too!! And I’m almost 30.

4. Hannah May 21, 2010 at 11:08 am #

So awesome! Hey I shot you an email at your media address–wondering if you’d like to be featured. Let me know! :-)

5. nicole May 21, 2010 at 1:11 pm #

check out the wooden deer patterns for that crap people put in their yard during the holidays. they are flat pieces that make it stand. her unicorn could stand to greet her. p.s. in case she hasent metnioned unicorns are white with pink and blue hair, it’s a girl thing

6. Mom May 21, 2010 at 4:29 pm #

The bi-plane is my FAVORITE so far…….I LOVE it…can you make another one for me and dry and laquer it so I can display it? That is if Allie or Bailey doesn’t gobble it up. Would that truly make it pancake art vs. food?

7. Mom May 21, 2010 at 4:51 pm #

P.S. good luck in Sacramento…..your entire family is excited for you! xoxoxoxxoxo

8. Jesse May 21, 2010 at 8:30 pm #

Great concept once again. Magnificent work, keep it up. And try to work out a deal with the Ms. Buttersworth people – i know she has deep pockets I’ve been eating it for 20 years.

9. katie May 21, 2010 at 9:27 pm #

Absolutely amazing pancakes! (I was immediately drawn to your plate, though. We have the exact same ones!)

10. Emily May 22, 2010 at 4:06 pm #

This is so fantastic! great work:D

11. Soraya May 30, 2010 at 3:43 pm #

wow! wish I had a dad like you, who would make pancakes like these. haha
    I don’t really like pancakes, but this…. I’d definitely eat :D
    Great shot of your daughter too!

12. Tom June 7, 2010 at 12:00 am #

Have you considered opening a restaurant? You would definitively be the first kid on your block with something like this ;)

13. CAUC June 26, 2010 at 2:59 pm #

Hey Jim…Just saw ya on the tv.
    Here is a simple idea….how about the faces of Ernie and Bert, Big Bird and the like. Kids always those cartoon characters.
    HAN, CAUC

14. Kevin June 27, 2010 at 7:33 pm #

Hey Jim that is really cool

Wonder if you can make a cake or a pokemon characther

15. AALIYAH March 21, 2011 at 1:59 am #

COOL:)

16. Esther August 5, 2011 at 4:13 am #

Hey any chance I could get an idea of how you did this, this is amazing. I am probably going to practice every day until i get this done well enough to make it work, so any tips would be amazing!

1. 3D Pancakes - September 25, 2010

[...] Among Jim’s masterful creations: the dinosaur skeleton seen above, a crane, a ferris wheel, a biplane, a carousel, a volcano, a birdhouse, a campfire, a bridge, and even a [...]