To make a stack of pancakes, you need a crane

Pancake art - tower crane 3d pancake
I think this one is my favorite so far. Allie thinks it’s cool, but it’s not a princess so she doesn’t really care to much. Perhaps Ryan would appreciate it if he was older than 3 months. Anyway, the ‘pancake tower crane’ was pretty fun to build, but I definitely need a bigger griddle for these things. Also, I need to remember that cast iron is stupid-hot even though it doesn’t look like it. In a couple weeks I’m sure my calluses will better protect me from the heat.

another shot of my 3d pancake art - tower crane

, , , , ,

19 Responses to To make a stack of pancakes, you need a crane

1. Monica Topping May 2, 2010 at 8:39 pm #

This is amazing, Jim. I hope you’ve thought about self-publishing a book with all of these pics. This is such a fun idea and I think people would love it– something like a kitchen geek’s coffee table book. :-)

2. Norman May 4, 2010 at 3:00 pm #

I love pancake technology!

3. Andrea May 5, 2010 at 4:40 pm #

I can’t believe you don’t have comments on your posts; you’re pancake art is awesome! I love the progression of your skills from the earlier posts to the recent ones. Keep posting! Pancake art is fantastic!

4. Liz May 7, 2010 at 2:18 am #

This is my favorite so far. Can’t wait to see what you make next!

5. John Duke May 7, 2010 at 5:42 pm #

cool blog – a friend of mine passed it along. my daughters would love your pancakes – we make (much more basic) pancakes on weekends and they devour them.

6. Michelle May 7, 2010 at 10:05 pm #

Ok, this is insanely creative & awesome. Can’t wait to see what you come up with next!

7. DK May 7, 2010 at 10:29 pm #

I remember my mom making shaped pancakes for Sunday morning breakfasts after friends had stayed the night when I was a kid. They were usually hearts or tiny animals or stars because she used to fill the insides of medium to small metal cookie cutters with batter to make the shapes. I love this site and the pictures you post here!

8. Leticia May 9, 2010 at 4:04 am #

That`s amazing. First time here! I loved the turtle, and the growing flowers and laughed a lot with the volcano!

Tomorrow morning guess what

9. Nathalie May 9, 2010 at 3:42 pm #

You just blew my mind. That is some intense pancake making and building.

10. Rachel May 10, 2010 at 4:08 am #

You quite possibly are the coolest dad ever! :) Also, this crane amazes me. I’m 17. I want to be a pancake artist. haha, for real though, make a book for parents to make things like this with their kids! Memories like constructing pancake cranes when you’re a little kid just don’t fade.

11. KAt May 11, 2010 at 3:29 am #

This may just be the best edible thing on the Internet.

12. Kitten Muffin May 12, 2010 at 4:56 am #

This is making me grin so much! We’ve been doing “pancake art” for the kidletts for a while. I think it was my first ever blog post I did, but hells bells! 3D pancake art! This is fabulous and I want a go right now! How on earth do I get in touch with you to geek out over pancake art?

13. Bevan May 12, 2010 at 1:33 pm #

You have inspired me. If I could make an effeil tower, my kids woud freak.

14. iamsosorry May 13, 2010 at 9:04 pm #

Aww man, you are the coolest dad. I featured this post (well, the whole blog actually) on my Tumblr. Keep it up!

15. Mary May 13, 2010 at 9:44 pm #

Hey, your mom just sent this to us, what creativity. Made me smile.
    Cousin Mary…

16. Alanna May 14, 2010 at 7:46 pm #

I have a two year old son that is currently obsessed with cranes – he would die if this was on the breakfast table! Awesome work!

17. Shaundra October 16, 2010 at 2:53 pm #

These are great! I’m inspired. One question though…how do you get them to stay together?

1. Dabbled » Article » Star Wars, Pancakes, Goldfish and other mostly geeky links - May 12, 2010

[...] guy is awesome… Way cool pancake creations from Jim’s [...]