A Cherry on a Spoon for Minneapolis!

Cherry on a spoon pancake art

Just finished up an interview on KARE11 in Minneapolis…they really love pancakes in Minneapolis!  I’ve never been there before, so I asked the producer for some suggestions for something to make that would represent their city. Apparently they have this giant sculpture of a cherry on a spoon in one of their parks, so I went for it.

Cherry on a spoon

In the side-by-side comparison, my pancake version looks a little sad, but it’s pretty hard to make a pancake spoon–as I found out. I had to cook just a little, then I heated up a ceramic bowl on the griddle.  I let it cook the rest of the way on the ceramic bowl (the bowl was upside down) to hold the shape.

Either way, it was tasty. For the red color of the cherry I used some strawberry preserves (the kind without chunks of fruit) and it was delicious. I think I’m going to try apricot preserves for yellow coloring next time.

Thanks again to everyone at KARE11 for having me on, it was fun! I’ll post a link to the video as soon as I get it. — UPDATE— and here it is: Video Interview – KARE11

, , , , , ,

17 Responses to A Cherry on a Spoon for Minneapolis!

1. Wei-Wei June 23, 2010 at 1:50 pm #

So creative! I’ve never seen that sculpture before, but it looks pretty cool ;)

Wei-Wei

2. nicole June 23, 2010 at 2:21 pm #

Yeah for Minneapolis. I live here and i’m a fan of your blog. thanks for the homage to my city

3. Mom June 23, 2010 at 3:29 pm #

That’s my boy !!! Love the cherry in the spoon; you did an awesome job. You know I am gonna play this all day long for everyone to see!!!! Love you…..xoxoxoxox

4. Amy Krahn June 23, 2010 at 3:57 pm #

Hey, there’s a cherry with a spoon sculpture at one of our local custard places – Kopp’s in Milwaukee! But it’s more upright. That would be even harder to do…

5. Erin June 23, 2010 at 4:56 pm #

I am so proud of you. I am going to play this for everyone I know!

6. L.W.S. June 23, 2010 at 5:02 pm #

I was thrilled to see this in my blog roll this morning! I grew up in Minnesota and seeing the Spoonbridge and Cherry sculpture in pancake form is such a kick… I just might try it myself. :)

7. Wendy June 23, 2010 at 6:37 pm #

Saw you on the local news this am! LOVE your pancakes ~ how fun! Will totally be featuring you in a post soon!

8. Heidi June 23, 2010 at 6:45 pm #

Hey! I’m from Minneapolis and love your blog! I was so surprised to see today’s post! You did a great job.

9. Kelly June 23, 2010 at 9:03 pm #

It’s the Spoonbridge and Cherry from the Walker!!! I am a MN native, that sculpture is about a mile from my house, love it!

10. Kate June 23, 2010 at 9:34 pm #

Very creative, Jim! The Spoon looks awesome!

11. qii* June 24, 2010 at 4:08 am #

your pancakes are SO COOL. i’ve even linked your blog on my tumblr page. check it out: http://whatshouldimaketoday.tumblr.com/post/730166380/check-out-how-jim-makes-pancakes-for-his-daughter

you should add a tumblr sharing button. it;s much easier for people to reblog your posts! :D

12. kimberj June 24, 2010 at 3:17 pm #

I swear you are truly the diggity bomb of a dad!!! Thanks for sharing your amazing creations, they make my day :)

13. Lynne July 5, 2010 at 11:13 pm #

Spoon bridge was created by Claes Oldenburg and his wife Coosje van Bruggen 1985-88. Love the pancake version. Keep up the great work,and making wonderful cherish memories for your daughter.

14. lilcrow July 9, 2010 at 3:07 am #

Did anyone mention the smiley face in the cherry? I think that just adds a little extra cuteness to the pancake :)

15. Wendy Maybury July 10, 2010 at 6:14 pm #

Thanks for the homage to my home city! We love you!!

16. Beth September 27, 2010 at 2:29 pm #

Never been there either, but pancakes as a “token” for the city…seems like a place I’d like to visit :)

1. Spongebob Squarepants Pancakes - July 17, 2010