Allie requested a carousel this weekend. A carousel? I didn’t think that she knew what a carousel was. I took her on one once, but that was a long time ago. I guess her memory is better than mine! Anyway, I was feeling up to the challenge and this is what we made:
I think it came out pretty good for a first try, but I think I’m going to have to revisit this one again. If I made the whole thing bigger I think I could get more detail in the animals. Right now I think they all look like fish. The next challenge was the roof. I really wanted that “circus tent” effect so I decided to use a mold. We had a bundt cake pan that seemed like it could do the job, so I heated it up in the oven at 450 degrees and then spread batter around the inner wall.
I put it back in the oven to cook for a bit and it came out pretty good. I had to cheat a little and embed some wooden skewers into the carousel animals so that the roof would stay up, it was kinda heavy. I’ll have to revise my molding technique so that I can save some weight on these things. By the time I was done Allie had already had a bunch of pancakes, so I ate this one. Not too bad…oven-cooked pancakes are actually pretty good.