Gobble Gobble! Turkey Pancakes for Thanksgiving

Turkey pancakes

With Thanksgiving  just around the corner, Allie decided this week that turkey pancakes were in order. Not just any turkey shape would do though, this had to look just like the turkey from her pop-up Thanksgiving book. Great.

Overall I think he turned out pretty good, as far as Turkey pancakes are concerned. I used some cocoa powder to make the brown color, the orange is from some marmalade and the red is my some Maraschino Cherry juice (one of my favorite new colorings!)

I made him in 3 parts: body, tail and feet. I assembled the body and tail together like one of those balsa airplanes…”Tab A goes into slot B”   The feet were added as a small blob on the griddle.

Next week we might try something using some cranberries for color!

Allie and the Turkey Pancake

30 Responses to Gobble Gobble! Turkey Pancakes for Thanksgiving

1. Jeff November 15, 2010 at 8:31 pm #

Are there pancake giblets?

2. kelly polizzi November 15, 2010 at 8:49 pm #

this is fantastic, i dont know how you do it. After seeing your octopus pancake i decided to give it a go with my daughter but it didnt turn out well. Unlike yours, mine had the usual brown a pancake aquires whilst cooking. Plus my squeezy bottle was awful so i had to switch but couldnt get the pancake mixture back out. Can we say, niiiightmaaaare!

How do you gets your to turn out so pale and still the color you dyed them? Do you have your griddle on real low? Are there any secrets i must know about? lol

thanks for sharing your wonderful blog. its so fantastic and fun to look at. Also i love listening to your adorable little daughter in the background of your videos!

3. Amy's Cooking Adventures November 15, 2010 at 10:11 pm #

Very cute! I love your creative food colorings too!

4. Rebekah November 15, 2010 at 10:25 pm #

your pancakes are awesome! love the turkey, very thankgivingy :D

5. Lora November 15, 2010 at 10:56 pm #

Brilliant!

6. Kathy November 15, 2010 at 11:29 pm #

The only thing that makes me happier than seeing a new amazing pancake creation is seeing how delighted your daughter is. Pure bliss, right there!

Gobble, gobble to you and yours.

7. Wei-Wei November 16, 2010 at 12:19 am #

Mindblowing!

8. Stephanie November 16, 2010 at 3:04 am #

THIS IS THE COOLEST THING EVER!!!! I can barely make Mickey Mouse pancakes and you are making 3D animals and houses. So cool!!

9. The Pie Guy November 16, 2010 at 5:17 am #

Hi Jim,
    I am inspired what you have done with pancakes. I don’t think anyone is doing what you are with pancakes. Keep up the good work. I can just imagine the devotion and time you spend doing this. Hopefully, your family is supportive.

You are a pancake celebrity to us.

The Pie Guy

10. Mia November 16, 2010 at 9:19 am #

It looks to nice to be eaten. You are really talented!

11. brandi November 16, 2010 at 11:35 am #

Amazing! I’m visiting from Whipperberry. You are a very talented dad. That’s so special that you go “all out” like that for your daughter.

12. Emily November 17, 2010 at 2:15 am #

Hi Jim! I wanted to let you know I love your site, and your talent. I featured you on WhipperBerry.com, I hope you don’t mind! To see the post go to http://www.whipperberry.com/2010/11/blog-love-jims-pancakes.html

Loves!
    Emily
    WhipperBerry

13. Dan November 17, 2010 at 2:52 am #

Just brilliant.

Love the oven/griddle-top you use in your videos to make these creations. My uncle just bought one himself. It’s going to take me a while to save for one.

Cheers!

14. Cat November 17, 2010 at 4:47 pm #

You ROCK as a Dad! Way to go!

My son loves pancakes. If I attempted to do this, he would probably explode with excitement.

VERY COOL!

15. mindy1 November 18, 2010 at 3:10 am #

Too cute-way to go

16. Mads November 18, 2010 at 6:39 pm #

Wow, I think this might be your most impressive pancake creation to date! Although, I was blown away by the 3-D dino bones too.
    Actually, pretty much every post blows me away.

17. ag. November 22, 2010 at 2:23 am #

My gosh, you are creative! I am so beyond impressed with all of your creations!

18. wonderchris November 22, 2010 at 6:52 pm #

Maybe some pumpkin puree for the orange in the feathers?

You do amazing work – I just love all of your pancake creations.

19. Ashleigh November 27, 2010 at 2:54 pm #

OMG and you actually eat those pancakes?!?? Heck, If I could make pancakes like that I’d put them on display on the mantelpiece!!!

20. Paula November 28, 2010 at 11:37 pm #

Hello Jim, I’m from Brazil and I found your brilliant idea, congratulations on the pancakes so much dedication and his daughter!

21. Gretchen December 1, 2010 at 4:42 am #

Can I be your daughter, too, please? Your pancakes are amazing.

22. Daniel December 4, 2010 at 3:31 am #

That is exceptional, Sir.

23. nastasja December 6, 2010 at 9:33 am #

I am absolutely astonished! ;) I just discovered your blog and I am amazed what are you doing with pancakes ;) It’s pure art! I am good in kitchen, but I am not sure that I could do all things you’ve done ;)
    Definitely I will try some of your pancakes – to delight my husband :D (still have no children)…
    Greetings from me ! And keep going with this incredible job! (yes, definitely you should open some restaurant!)

24. Aryam December 8, 2010 at 5:44 am #

Your pancakes look so beautiful that i would be very sorry to destroy them to eat them, but at the same time they look delicious, I bet your daughter is gonna remember your amazing designs forever. I just post about your pancakes in my blog, i think everyone should know about your great work.
    Blessings

25. Kelly January 29, 2011 at 3:12 am #

These are adorable. I could just gobble these up (I know bad turkey pun), but these are just too perfect.

26. Louella February 3, 2011 at 3:54 am #

Jim, you are one talented pancake decorator (does that term even exist?). Your kids are lucky to have you around. Hats off to your creations!

1. Gobble Gobble…We’ve found Thanksgiving Breakfast! » Just Desserts NYC - November 16, 2010

[...] http://www.jimspancakes.com [...]

2. Jim, that guy who makes those stunning pancake shapes « - November 18, 2010

[...] made this stunningly cool turkey, which is now my favorite Thanksgiving craft [...]

3. Turkey Pancakes | Handmade Holiday Everyday - November 25, 2010

[...] {Image via Jim’s Pancakes} [...]

4. Jim’s Pancakes | Wonderz of the Internetz - December 24, 2010

[...] do I start? Thanksgiving Pancakes, Dinosaur Bones Pancake dinosaur bones [...]