Hmmm…maybe this isn’t a good gift for my wife

The gift of Pancakes

My wife’s birthday is coming up, so I thought maybe breakfast in bed would be nice. Here’s my first attempt at a “Gift Box” pancake…I think it needs a bit of work before it meets here high standards :)

Here’s a shot of how I made the parts on the griddle-

I made the four sides using red batter with yellow for the ribbon. I also made some additional squares to prop the whole thing up. Finally, I made a longer piece of yellow pancake and bent it into a bow shape for the top. Overall I think it worked out pretty well, but I need to have a bit more accuracy where the sides meet so that it doesn’t look so lopsided.

I also need to practice making it really fast so that it stays hot…my wife doesn’t like cold pancakes as much as Allie :)

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

16 Responses to Hmmm…maybe this isn’t a good gift for my wife

1. Melissa D September 14, 2011 at 5:13 pm #

You also need to buy something nice to put inside!

2. Devin September 14, 2011 at 5:18 pm #

Can’t you make it and pop it in a toaster or an oven to keep it warm? I imagine even a microwave for a couple seconds would work.

3. Dan September 14, 2011 at 5:33 pm #

That’s awesome. Great job.

4. Laura September 14, 2011 at 5:35 pm #

Ah, it’s all about the thought that counts, isn’t it?! ;)

Very sweet idea, but I agree with with Melissa… perhaps look for something to surprise her with inside!

5. Anna Marie September 14, 2011 at 5:36 pm #

If you place a regular jewelry box with something in it next to a plate of REGULAR pancakes, I bet she wouldn’t care what the pancakes look like! lol

6. Laura @ Sawan-Heaven September 14, 2011 at 5:42 pm #

Perhaps different rectangular cookie cutters, and whipped cream as glue?

7. ht1237 September 14, 2011 at 5:44 pm #

I tried to do a smaller version of that and make a Christmas Tree to put it under… sortof worked, but man, what a pain! The sides were about 1″ x 1″.

8. joi st clair September 14, 2011 at 5:45 pm #

YOU ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AWESOME!! I LOVE YOUR WORK!! IS THERE ANYWAY YOU COULD GET IN THE GENIUS BOOK OF RECORDS OR SOMETHING ALONG THAT ORDER (NO PUN INTENDED :)!!). SERIOUSLY, YOU ARE AN ARTIST IN YOUR OWN RIGHT AND DESERVE RECOGNITION!!

9. Sarah September 14, 2011 at 5:46 pm #

Something inside would be a wonderful treasure! Perhaps you could fix the issue of the sides coming together by disguising the edges with a little icing or whipped cream?

10. Penny September 14, 2011 at 5:54 pm #

I think your wife will like it no matter what it looks like…It’s the gift you put in the pancake present that needs to WOW her!

11. Liz September 14, 2011 at 6:10 pm #

I would try to use some sort of thick substance (perhaps a “royal icing” of sorts) to hold the sides together so that it holds its shape better.

It looks amazing, I wish I had the talent and creativity to do what you do with pancakes.

12. Heather September 14, 2011 at 7:04 pm #

It should be Tiffany Blue with a White Ribbon… Every girls loves to see a Tiffany box, even a pancake version :) Good luck

13. Pam September 15, 2011 at 5:00 am #

yummmy , fill the box with sweet filling, you are so creative !!!

14. Mia September 15, 2011 at 8:59 am #

If you glue the parts with some chocolate/jam, then it will be perfect :)

p.s. welcome back!

15. Jeff September 15, 2011 at 11:58 am #

Happy birthday, Mrs. Jim.

16. Robin~ September 20, 2011 at 9:11 pm #

I just realized that my rss feed wasn’t working – I’ve really missed seeing your creations =)

Most real gift boxes are made out of one piece (which sort of looks like what you show on the grill but all attached) and then folded together. Maybe you could use the same idea for the pancake version?